Our development projects span London and the South East but we focus on sites which offer unique and rarely available locations so do deliver projects further afield. We do not doggedly follow our own style of house, rather we draw inspiration from local surroundings to tailor our designs using carefully selected architects and designers managed by our in-house team.
Additionally, we employ highly skilled, local craftsmen with whom we have long-term individual relationships to deliver the quality we insist upon.
Our consult team has extensive vast experience of delivering both capital investments and new services. Working end-to-end across the project and development life-cycle and at the strategic business, portfolio & project levels, we offer this expertise to a wide range of clients in both the public and private sectors.
Please look at our individual profiles below.
Mark, Cleanslate’s Managing Director, is a Chartered Surveyor and has spent his career with a number of consulting firms and development companies. He was Commercial Director and subsequently Projects Director for specialist regeneration programmes at Berkeley Homes. Prior to starting Cleanslate Ltd, he was a main Board Director of Bewley Homes Plc for ten years.
Mark has worked in development for over 20 years, particularly in the residential arena. Immediately prior to joining Cleanslate, having been part of the Management Buy Out team, he was a Main Board Director of a residential property developer. Key highlights include:
- Business leadership and management. Main Board Director of Bewley Homes Plc in charge of Commercial, Construction, Technical and Buying departments. Achievements include:
- Part of the Management Buy Out team in December 2002 in conjunction with Bank, subsequently bought back as privately controlled Plc and retained shareholding.
- Instigated renewed land appraisal and acquisition procedures.
- Increased unit output per annum by changing development size type and density.
- Continuously updated and modernised specifications.
- Rationalised and reorganised the Customer Care department.
- Commercial direction. Whilst at Berkeley Homes, initially seconded to Chelsea Bridge Wharf to carry out a project review for the Main Board. Subsequently seconded as Commercial Director and negotiated works packages for Phase One with main contractor, consisting of 350 apartments, 2 level car park and podium construction. Project value £64 million.
- Business startup. Project Director for the team that established Berkeley Partnership Homes, a new company within the Berkeley Group meeting the needs of the specialist regeneration and affordable housing markets in conjunction with all of the Berkeley Homes companies.
Mark is the Managing Director of Cleanslate Ltd. In addition to providing overall operational leadership to the firm, his roles include land acquisition and development coordination.Email me
Brian, Cleanslate’s Chairman, is an entrepreneur with global experience having worked in or visited over 50 countries. Brian has a proven track record and expertise in programme management, capital investment, development and asset management, business strategy, planning and management and corporate development.
Brian’s career started in construction and evolved into general business through management consulting, corporate development and angel investment. Key highlights include:
- Strategic advice and/or programme and project management in connection with over 500 major capital investment programmes and projects ranging in value from £1m to over £20bn across a dozen countries and most sectors. Examples include:
- Asset management planning for over half of the UK’s water companies.
- Project management in connection with projects in USA, Middle East and Europe.
- Sponsor of a £130m schools development in Scotland.
- At the forefront of Public Private Partnerships/Private Finance Initiative with projects in the road, waste, schools, health, military and prison sectors.
- Business start-up, management, exit and acquisition. Previously, Brian has been Partner, Managing Director, and Chairman for a number of businesses ranging in value from $1m to $1bn. Previous positions include:
- 1995-1998: Partner in £100m+ EC Harris working on major projects in a variety of sectors: Infrastructure, Building, Petrochem etc. Managing Director of niche consulting firm, Value Management Limited
- 1998-2006: Founded Precept Programme Management and sold to Navigant Consulting for $55m.
- 2005-2006: Launch Director and Interim Operations Director for Partnerships for Schools, a Quango established to deliver £20billion of school building and IT investment.
- 2006-2008: Managing Director, Corporate Development Europe, Navigant Consulting. Acquired Troika (Financial Services approx. £25m), Augmentis (Project Management approx. £10m) and Abros (Financial Advisory approx. £4m).
Angel investment, mentoring and fund raising:
Chairman and Investor: Covec Limited. Technical textiles with global sales
- Chairman and Investor: Bluenio Limited. Mobile phone Bluetooth accessory – global
- Non-Executive Director and Investor: Mermaid Maternity Services – UK
- Investor and Board Observer: Microtest Matrices – allergy testing – global
- Founder and Chairman; Cleanslate Ltd; Investment, Property Development and Consulting
Brian’s ambition is to drive the growth of the core business, Cleanslate Ltd, while investing and supporting a number of high growth businesses in a variety of sectors.
Elaine joined Cleanslate as our Business Manager in May 2012. She is a business management graduate with experience in customer relations and new business travel sales.
Before joining Cleanslate, Elaine worked for companies including Portman Travel and Marriott International. In addition to managing the business infrastructure, she also supports the sales & marketing process, provides project administration and assists in site procurement.
Jill leads on recruitment and retention for Cleanslate and started her career as a Chartered Surveyor in Central London. For the majority of this time she worked for Tweeds Cost Consultants concentrating on Commercial Developments for a very wide range of Clients including Peel Holdings and Tesco. After 9 years as a Chartered Surveyor she decided it was time for a change and moved into Executive Recruitment, joining Macdonald & Company, a specialist property recruitment consultancy, as an Executive Recruitment Consultant.
Here Jill was able to making use of her extensive experience and knowledge of the property and construction market. Once she had made a name for herself in the niche market of property recruitment, she was head hunted by Norman Broadbent to work in their Property Team in Executive Search.
She worked at Norman Broadbent for a year, but when Macdonald and Company approached her to return, she took the opportunity, joining the Executive Selection team. Jill worked for Macdonald & Company for a total of just over 6 years and whilst she was there recruited many significant members of staff for a wide range of clients from Chartered Surveying Practices to Major Development Companies, until making the decision to leave to spend more time with her family.
Jill was approached by Cleanslate Limited in 2012 to assist them in supporting the growth and development of the business to recruit key members of staff. With an in depth understanding of the business and the main personnel, she is ideally placed to work with Cleanslate Limited to ensure its continued success.
Assistant Site Manager
Mark is an Assistant Site Manager at Cleanslate and self-confessed trouble-shooter. His area of specialism is carpentry, although he started off life as a window fitter. Before joining us Mark worked as a contractor for public and private sector organisations including Thames Valley Police, Bedfordshire Council and retirement home developer, McCarthy and Stone.
Sheila is our Interior Designer having worked as a professional interior designer for private clients and builders. She currently leads on our show home concepts and execution. Sheila also has a client facing role working with purchasers to make their house into a home.
Ed is a Managing Consultant in Cleanslate Ltd’s Consulting business. He has managed a range of projects and programmes from feasibility through to financial close for both the private and public sectors. In the education sphere, Ed has worked on Academies, Primary Capital Programme (PCP), Building Schools for the Future (BSF) and conventionally funded schemes.
Ed is an effective manager of complex projects and relationships, with 6 years’ experience in providing Project Management and Technical advisory services on multimillion pound education capital projects, from inception through to completion.
His recent experience includes:
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames – 6th Form Extension Programme (£24m).
Lead Technical Advisor working on behalf of the Local Authority. The programme includes 5 existing 11 –
16 secondary schools who have received funding for the provision of a 6th form. Worked as TA on all 5
projects and currently working as Contract Administrator on the Sample Project.
AET and Colchester Institute Academy Programme (£58m)
Programme Manager on this Academy Trust procured batched programme of 5 Academies. Was also the
Project Manager and Technical Advisor on three of these schemes including the sample project. Delivered
the sample project’s Feasibility Study on programme in 3.5 weeks.
London Borough of Enfield – Oasis Academy, Hadley (£23m)
Technical Advisor and lead on the Commercial aspects of the project which was the first scheme to go
through PfS’ accelerated programme.
Lincolnshire County Council – St. George’s Academy (£19m)
Project Manager, Technical Advisor and Contract Administrator on the St. George’s Academy scheme which
comprised of two predecessor schools. Drafted the OBC, managed the DUG SIG meetings and was key in
getting the project to Contract Award on time.
Lincolnshire County Council – Skegness Academy (£20m)
Project Manager, Technical Advisor and Contract Administrator on the Skegness Academy scheme which is
a part new build and part refurb project. Drafted the OBC and FBC, managed the DUG and SIG meetings
and was instrumental in getting the project to Contract Award on time.
London Borough of Brent – Ark Academy (£35m)
Technical Advisor and Contract Administrator on the project, which reached Financial Close in July 2009.
Involved in the development of the Outline Business Case and the PITT and ITT documentation as Technical
Advisor. Wrote the project’s Final Business Case and was part of the team administering the D&B Contract.
London Borough of Hackney – Mossbourne Academy (£8m)
Technical Advisor and Lead Technical Coordinator delivering Contract Administration on the project. Was
also the Assistant Technical Advisor on the Mossbourne Academy 6th Form extension scheme during the
procurement phase through to financial close and wrote the project’s Final Business Case.
London Borough of Hackney – The Skinner’s Academy (£28m)
Lead Technical Coordinator delivering Contract Administration on the project which reached Financial
Close in June 2009. As Technical Advisor, was involved in the development of the Outline Business Case
and the PITT and ITT documentation. Wrote the project’s Final Business Case. London Borough of Hackney – Building Schools for the Future Programme (£180m)
Lead Technical Coordinator delivering Contract Administration to the three schools within the first phase.
Was the interface between the sample schemes and the Local Authority project team. Also worked with the
Phase 2 schools in preparing them for dialogue with the LEP. Originally the Project Support Officer for the
Building Schools for the Future (BSF) programme during the Competitive Dialogue phase. Ran the
administrative team which comprised of 4 individuals and also provided the technical support required by
the Project Team.
London Borough of Brent – Primary Capital Programme
Assistant Technical Advisor involved in the review and development of the Brent’s primary strategy,
including proposals for amalgamations and options appraisals for each school site.
London Borough of Hackney – Primary Capital Investment Programme
Assistant Technical Advisor involved in the review and development of the primary strategy, including
proposals for amalgamations and options appraisals for each school site.
A new academy created to meet the shortfall of places in Southwark. Supporting the sponsor on project
and stakeholder management, finance and recruitment whilst the new building is developing.
The John Wallis Academy
A fast track Primary school project characterised by complex land sale and leasing arrangements. This
includes the amalgamation of primary school into an existing 3 – 19 Academy.
Walsall Blue Coat Academy
Project Manager supporting the delivery of this complex fast track VA project focused on effective project
planning and reporting.
Swan Valley Academy, Kent
Project Manager on this conversion of an existing PFI secondary school into an Academy.
Fort Pitt Academy, Medway
Lead Project Manager on the delivery of this fast track project to link primary and secondary schools under
a single trust arrangement.
Steve is our Site Manager at Cleanslate’s development in Weston, near Lambourn in West Berkshire. He has over 30 years of experience including 10 years managing residential developments. Prior to joining us, Steve worked for a number of public and private sector organisations managing subcontractors and teams of employees to maximise success on all his projects. He is a trained carpenter and has an eye for detail when it comes to finishes and presentation.